Monday 31 May 2010

Five Minutes with Per QX


In the lead up to this Friday, Per Qx took time out of his busy schedule for a chat.

So for those who don’t know you – how would you introduce yourself in 2 words?

Fun & Friendly

Heralding from Stockholm - when did you move over to London?

What brought you over here originally?

I was so bored in Stockholm I needed to leave.

The club scene was so bad I had to play Whitney Houston remixes in the house clubs.

I was suicidal, no almost suicidal!

Where were you DJing before you started the party Gutterslut?

Allover really, Trailer Trash and the backroom at Wet Yourself, but way back when I 1st came to London I did a lot of the bigger clubs more gay/mixed I was even a resident on the main floor at Heaven before it went downhill.

Which guest has surprised you the most at Gutterslut?

I think probably Larry Tee for playing so hard and getting away with it, He always does, he mixes things up so well he awlays gives the music he plays that cheekyness.

Also Mikki Most did a brilliant set at the GutterBall at Rhythm factory, probably the best set I’ve ever heard him play.

You were part of a crew of DJs who were regularly spinning at Trailer Trash, how do you thinking the East End clubbing scene has changed since they've stopped being weekly?

I think a bit of the hedonistic East London has disappeared for sure.

With rumours running daily about closures of more of London's clubs like Fabric, Ministry of Sound and Plastic People - where you think clubbing in London is going? Is it a wind down of clubbing or just a shift to smaller venues?

I think smaller venues, these places are too expensive, I’d rather go to a warehouse party in Berlin then spend 25-50 pounds on entry to stand in a big room full of wankers listening to some overpaid dj.

Can you tell me more about your party Eurotrash at Dalston SuperStore?

Eurotrash is an alternative if you wanna go out and go crazy on a Friday, instead of Saturday. It started with Tranny Karaoke upstairs in the bar, but it went to crazy so we had to stop it.

Now it's fun eurotrashy music with Alejandro Asencio and guests upstairs and downstairs I book dj's that I rate highly from the UK and abroad.

Most people know you for your DJing but you've been in and around music studios for many years.

Yes I released my first record when I was 15, that's quiet a long time ago. I had stuff out on many of the labels that the distribution company Essential Direct ( owned by Hoxton Whores) put out. I’ve done remixes for D.Ramirez, Lady Gaga, Tomcraft, The young Phunx, Laidback Luke, Larry Tee and Princess superstar Oh and I forgot Deadmau5.

There's a lot of my releases coming out over the summer, so I'm really happy!!

Who are your favorite people that you've collaborated with or produced for?

All are different to work with, I think the one that have learned a lot from is Larry Tee, just the way he put things together and how it sounds is so now.

You are producing and DJing more and more with Lary Tee at the moment, how did you guys meet up?

Larry came down to GutterSlut last year and we started to talk, he said he was moving over to London (He's from NYC) and we started to work on a few remixes when he arrived and since we’ve done stuff now and then. One of the remixes we done is number 5 in the Billboard dance chart this week. The artist is called Erika Jayne with "Pretty Mess"

Are there any unsigned producers or up and coming DJs who you are feeling at the moment?

If there's anyone out there who knows how to sound like the main guys in the game send me a demo please perqx@live.co.uk

With music I work with this guy called We're not cool, he's great!!

Also Justin Joy, watch out Toolroom and Jon Kong he's really good as well.

What's your top 5 tracks right right now?

David Keno: Upside down (Snatch)

Sticky K: Club Persh (Southern Fried)

Mason feat. DMC and Sam Sparro: Corrected (Freaky Friday Remix)

The Young Punx: SugarCandySuperNova-Per QX mix (MofoHifi)

Moguai: D.S.F.H (Mau5trap)

Any shout outs or finals words for the readers?

Have a great summer and come down for a boggie.

Looking forward to being back in London town, I been away in Stockholm for a while now.

See ya Friday!

: )

Thanks loads Per

See you on Friday.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment